Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zucchini in dessert?????

Yes I am sure most have had zucchini bread and possibly the delicious zucchini cake-but this recipe to me beats them all--Mock Apple Pie!

If you are just craving a freshly baked apple pie and of course this time of the year apples aren't ready but zucchini is plentiful-check it out!

1 9 inch double pie crust
6 cups zucchini, peeled and cut into slices
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar-packed
3 Tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Put one crust in bottom of 9 inch pie pan. In a medium suacepan, cook zucchini slices in water until tender. Drain well. Toss with lemon juice and set aside.

In large bowl combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add cooked zucchini and combine well. Pour into bottom crust, place the top crust over zucchini mixture. Pinch to seal edges and poke a few holes with a knife to allow steam to escape. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.

I can almost bet that if you serve this to guests and don't tell them it is zucchini they won't be able to tell the difference.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this one! How would it work for "apple" crisp do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think it would work perfectly fine-the times I have made this "apple pie" I have made into large sheet pan apple squares and it works great. I would just be sure you check liquid or juice wise you have enough for the crisp since the topping may soak up some of it. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete