Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Corning my own beef for St. Patty's day starts today

Well one week from today is St. Patty's day and eventhough we are not irish-we still enjoy a little or alot of corned beef on the day of the irish.

A couple of years ago I started doing this and not only is it a fun process-very little hands on time-it is also very tasty. Check it out

Ingredients
1/2 c kosher salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves crumbled
2 dried chilies ground-I like to use chipotle for the smokeyness
1 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pound beef roast-boneless preferably but I use whatever is in the freezer

Mix all spices together. Spear the roast 30 times on each side with a metal fork-careful for your fingers-as my mom would say! Rub each side with the salt mixture. Place in a large ziplock bag and remove as much air as possible. Place in a rimmed baking sheet and cover with a similiar sized pan-weight this down with a couple of good sized canned goods. Refrigerate for 5-7 days turning once a day.

On the day of serving-rinse the roast and prepare in your favorite way. We smoke it awhile on the grill and then I finish it in the crock pot to get the great corned beef texture.

I tell you it is a very fun way to enjoy the St Patt's tradition!

Enjoy with a green beer or 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment