Monday, March 15, 2010

Blue Skinned chicken

As some of you know we have carried 4 hens thru the winter for the eggs they were laying-well in the past week the two little banties stopped laying eggs. So we decided that they would be dinner this weekend!

Sunday morning Frank went out to butcher up the two little hens. He was outside for about 20 minutes and stuck his head in the door and asked if I thought it was any concern that "whitey" which is what we had named the white long feathered chicken was blue! I thought he just meant the skin was a little blue compared to the other hen. He brought them in and the one chicken was a deep blue color which I would compare to a deep deep bruise you might get.

Never had we seen this before-well by the wondor of the internet we figured out that this was a breed from China called a silky chicken and this is part of their breed-dark blue skin, meat and also the bones are blue/black. This breed dates back to Marco Polo and he was so impressed with them that he wrote about them in his chronicles.

Well let me tell you I had a tough time thinking about eating this chicken-we smoked it and then I pulled it off the bone and made Tortilla chicken soup! We did taste a little bit of this meat by itself and it tasted more wild to me sort of like pheasant or rabbit.

But boy did it make a wonderful soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment