Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sriracha Hot Chile Paste/Sauce-Completed!

Well it has been a week and a day since I started making the homemade Sriracha and after the taste test last night with our dinner I would have to say, I will definately make it again with a few little tweaks! I am providing you with the recipe the way I made it and afterwards I will mention my tweaks for the next time.

2 oz dried japanese chiles
3/4 lb fresh fresno chiles
3 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
water as needed

In a food processor take all the chiles and additional ingredients excluding the vinegar and water. Process to a paste like consistency. Put this mixture in a jar and cover with a lid. For the next 7 days leave this jar sit on the counter and stir daily.

At the end of 7 days, put the mixture into a saucepan and add the vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and transfer to a food processor once again. Process until very smooth-adding additional vinegar or water as needed to allow mixture to process properly.

Once processed mixture should be strained either thru cheese cloth or fine seive.

Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.

Now given the recipe and the way mine turned out here are some additional tidbits for you.

We tasted both the "sauce" and "paste" the sauce is what you are supposed to keep and the paste is all the seeds and such that doesn't get blended. Anyhow, as with the Jalapeno Sauce that I made over a year ago-I find uses for both the sauce and the paste.

I will add additional garlic the next time as I don't think it has as much garlic flavor as the original Sriracha.

I also think I went a little heavy on the vinegar for my taste-I added additional vinegar during final processing to allow it to move more freely in the food processor-next time I would use water instead.

Bottom line it is awesome and well worth the week wait time!

Enjoy and please if you try this recipe give me your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment