Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring Fusion

Chives are up in the garden and since they do literally grow like weeds-I am really using them in everything!

Growing up my Grandma made these wonderful Chive dumplings that were about the size of a baseball and filled with butter and chives-wonderful-but WOW the amount of butter is mind blowing.

So over the last few years I have created my own version-Chive Kanefli-yes the little german noodle/dumpling/pasta meets the chive!

Basic recipe is about a cup flour and 1 egg with a pinch of salt. You want to have the dough be sticky and not watery. I add about a tablespoon or so of chopped chives and pepper too.

Bring water to a boil and then drop marble size amounts of dough into the boiling water-the smaller the dumpling size the better.

Once all dumplings have risen to the top of the boiling water allow to boil for another minute or so. Drain dumplings.

For this batch then I would melt about 2 tbsp of butter with a couple cloves of garlic chopped as well 2-3 tablespoons chives. Toss the dumplings and coat with wonderful goodness.

I think Grandma would even like this version of one of my favorite childhood memories.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Yummy-My daughter Sophia's go-to food is the dumpling. My recipe is very simmilar, but I can't wait to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bonnie Jo-be sure to let me know what you think-more importantly what Sophia thinks!

    ReplyDelete